At Cherwell, we are committed to conducting business in a way that minimises the impact of our activities on the natural and human environment, including the prevention of pollution of the environment.
We, Cherwell, are committed to conducting business in a way that minimises the impact of our activities on the natural and human environment, including the prevention of pollution of the environment.
We recognise that as a business we have an impact on the environment. We are committed to improving our environmental performance and reducing our carbon footprint.
Our Environmental Policy is developed in line the international standard BS EN ISO 14001:2004 for Environmental Management Systems and forms part of our Integrated Management System.
This Environmental Policy provides a framework for setting and reviewing the Company’s environmental objectives and targets and confirms that Cherwell:
- Is committed to the continual improvement in environmental performance.
- Will meet or exceed statutory, regulatory keeping up to date with forthcoming environmental legislation such as our Duty of Care responsibilities for the safe and legal disposal of packaging waste, and reporting under The Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) legislation.
- Will ensure that documented impacts, aspects and procedures are fully incorporated into our management systems to reduce the risks to the environment and develop emergency preparedness plans where considered appropriate.
- Will improve the efficiency of energy use by identifying energy saving opportunities and by ensuring the use of best practicable techniques and technologies. Our principal actions here include implementing power saving lighting systems in high use areas such as the warehouse, as well as by ensuring that employees switch off all power sources following use, and implementing a ‘sustainable driver’ programme in order to reduce the fuel consumed per delivery mile.
- Will maintain a high level of environment stewardship with regards to waste disposal. We will prioritise waste minimisation, recovery and recycling to reduce our waste going to landfill.
- We will promote the reduction of the environmental impacts associated with the products and materials purchased and used by the Company, through supplier and subcontractor education, greener purchasing where viable and more efficient resource usage.
- Will actively promote the communication of environmental issues concerning the Company to its staff, customers, the local community and other interested parties. Comments and suggestions will be encouraged and considered by the Directors. Feedback will be given to any party making an environmental enquiry.
- Will raise awareness, encourage participation and train employees in environmental matters.
- Will support a charity (Village Water) who can impact on sustainability outside of the UK.
This Environmental Policy will be made available to every employee and can be publicly accessed on our website at https://www.cherwell-online.co.uk/about-us/sustainability-and-the-environment/environmental-policy/
The Directors have the ultimate responsibility for ensuring that this Environmental Policy is implemented and regularly reviewed for continuing suitability.
This Environmental Policy was last issued/updated April 2018.